Work is compulsory and essential in an organization. Business is characterized by strict deadlines and delivery to clients within the due dates. This keeps the trust alive which keeps business healthy. An employee should be highly committed fro this and work diligently towards the goal without any fatigue and distractions. Certain levels of discipline and suitable work environment is also required to ensure this. So, work supervision and discipline is mandatory at the workplace to ensure that work is done diligently and employees are not distracted from work. This helps in achieving deadlines and delivering to the client in due time keeping up the promises and commitment to work. It also helps in keeping a positive work environment
All about employee supervision
As believed traditionally, supervision is not all about monitoring the workforce and seeing if they are working or not. Supervision is a very broad term and includes various other parameters like business processes, planning of work, calculating the budgets and time, scheduling the tasks, implementing the plans, solving the problems, tracking the work progress and evaluating the results.
Supervision leads to completion of work in due time. This saves time for work review and corrections to be done if any. This way quality of the work can be improved. Functions and powers of a supervisory manager has to be clearly defined in order to avoid any confusion in action. A good supervisor constantly motivates the employee to work harder and helps them in building new skills and improving the existing skills.
After the assignment is completed, supervisor is expected to review the work and bring any shortcomings in work into limelight. This helps in rating the performance of the employee and making him acquaint of his performance so that he can improve his skills.
Discipline builds work culture
Discipline is the art of obeying laws. This builds a favorable work culture in the work premises. Discipline also gives strength and endurance to an employee to perform in tough and adverse conditions and come up with results. Thus discipline at work is important. The HR policy must clearly indicate the expected code of conduct and behavior along with the acts of misconduct that could lead to termination. The acts of indiscipline need to be dealt strictly because indiscipline is like a infectious disease which spreads if not controlled in due time. Reported acts of indiscipline should be investigated fairly and thoroughly. Such persons should be mentored and counseled by the HR managers and the reason for their behavior should be known and their problems should be addressed.
Supervision and discipline at work are equally important. While one ensures that work is happening in a planned and structured way with skill development of the employee, the other ensures a good work environment and a tendency to follow rules by word in an organization.
Comments Off on HR Management: Supervision and Discipline
| Tags: Recruiting
The children and youth employees due to their age and being new to the industry are often exploited by the employers in form of less payments of wages and subjective them to harsh work environment that is not suitable to them. The Federal government under the aegis of Wage and Hour Department (WHD) aims at protecting the interests and welfare of the minors and young employees with the help of child labor and youth employment laws. While child labor laws were framed to ensure that the right of education of the minors remains safe and they are not subjected to harsh work environments, youth employment laws ensure that he is not exploited for being new to the job and not under paid.
Child labor laws
To safeguard the right to education of the minors and to protect them from the hazardous work conditions, the Federal government provides certain guidelines to the employers in form of Child Labor laws.
Under the law, it is illegal to employ a minor under 12 years of age. Hence if a kid is below 12 years of age,you simply can not hire him. Minors between 12 and 16 years of age can be employed only for a limited number of hours in some limited occupations that are allowed to hire child employees. Those who are between 16 and 18 years of age can be employed for without any restrictions for work hours but only in jobs which are not hazardous in nature. A number of exceptions and clauses exist for these laws and one needs a good understanding of the laws. Sometimes when state child labor laws also apply in addition to the Federal laws. In such cases. The State laws end up being more strict.
Laws are very strict and clear regarding the youth employment. Posters should be displayed at a place where people come for seeking employment. Posters should be accessible to them. Employees below 20 years of age are entitled for a minimum wage of $4.25 per hour for the first 90 calendar days of the employment. If the employee reaches 20 years of age before the 90 days of employment, regular minimum wage of $7.25 per hour is applicable to him.
Youth employers or existing employers can not be subjected to polygraph tests by their employers under Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA). The polygraph tests can not be used for employment purposes. It can be used under typical cases of situations like theft. Some employers like security and armored car services can use polygraph tests for hiring purposes on their employees. But in any case, the tests have to be administered by an expert and the results of the tests can not be demanded by the employer.
This way the WHD has assured maximum protection to the child rights to the child labors safeguarding their interests and their right to education protecting them from hazardous work environment. When coming to the youth employment, the Federal agency has not done any less. Minimum wage of $4.25 per hour has been earmarked for them for a period of 90 consecutive days of the employment till the age of 20 years.
Comments Off on Child Labor and Youth Employment Laws
| Tags: Law
Pre-employment drug testing plays a critical role in reducing drug-abusers in an organization. It saves millions of dollars to the employer, as every year drug use costs millions of dollars to the company. So, it is recommended for every employer to implement “Pre-employment drug testing program” in their organization. This can be either done by outsourcing or by conducting on-site testing program. In this article, you will see the advantages and disadvantages of pre-employment drug testing.
Advantages of pre-employment drug testing:
Pre-employment drug testing is done on candidates who are offered the job. The employer should clearly mention about the drug testing program to the candidate. By having pre-employment drug testing done on the candidate, it will help you in the following ways.
- Prevents hiring illicit drug abusers: This is one of the biggest benefit of doing pre-employment drug testing. Based on the drug testing results, employer can find out the drug habits of the candidate. This prevents the employer from hiring drug abusers.
- Keeps good reputation of the organization: If drug abusers come to know about pre-employment drug testing program, they will surely not apply for a job in that organization. In this way the organization is able to keep up the good reputation by not hiring drug abusers.
- Reduces sluggish drug abusers: It is a good approach to avoid sluggish drug abuser applicants. Sluggish drug abusers usually come late to office and leave early, spend time on non-work related activities, poor job performance, frequent absenteeism, poor decision making skills, undergoes frequent accidents, argues with co-workers, blames the superiors for own mistakes, etc. These things results into loss of productivity for the organization.
- Indirectly reduces the cost benefits: Pre-employment drug testing indirectly reduces the cost associated with employer sponsored benefits (medical benefits). Because drug abused employees frequently fall sick.
- Drug-free workstation: It helps in creating a drug-free working environment and reduces the probabilities of handling any future misconducts done by drug abused employees.
Disadvantages of pre-employment drug testing:
- When conducting pre-employment drug testing on a candidate make sure you use kits that are FDA approved, as the results are accurate and reliable. If you use unreliable drug testing kit on a candidate and the candidate is not a drug abuser, but the results are negative. This may bring a bad name to your organization.
- Candidates who take prescription medications and herbal supplements, drug testing on such candidates may show positive results. Even though the candidate is a drug abuser he will get selected as the results are positive.
- Tests should be conducted according to the Federal Workplace Drug Testing Guidelines. If an employer failed to follow the guidelines, the employer can be fined.
Many organizations are conducting pre-employment drug testing programs. These programs not only help in creating a drug-free workplace, but also saves billions of dollars to the employers. Read more
Comments Off on Advantages and Disadvantages of Pre-Employment Drug Testing
| Tags: Drug testing
Recruitment is different from selection. The process of recruitment is done in a different manner and so is the selection process. They are the two different phases of employment process. To help you understand the difference between recruitment and selection, read the following points:
- The process of recruitment involves searching the right candidates for the organization and attracting them to apply for the job, whereas the process of selection involves various steps through which the candidates are interviewed, screened, assessed for a particular vacancy in the organization.
- Attracting maximum number of candidates is the purpose of recruitment, whereas selecting the best and most suitable candidate is called selection.
- Recruitment can be called as positive process as it encourages more and more candidates to apply in the organization, whereas selection can be called as negative process involving rejection of the candidates that are unsuitable.
- Recruitment process is inexpensive as only advertising cost is involved in this process, whereas selection process can be expensive as some amount of money is spent on conducting interviews, different tests, reference check, medical examinations, etc. Process of selection that is conducted by the experts are paid very high salaries.
- The nature of selection process is subjective, whereas the nature of recruitment process is objective.
- Recruitment process is done before selection, which means selection is done after recruitment process.
- As recruitment process is simple, it does not need help of experts, whereas selection process is complex. For conducting interviews and tests, there is requirement of experts.
- As recruitment process is short and simple, it involves less time and has few steps, whereas process of selection is lengthy as there are many steps involved in this procedure that may consume lot of time.
- Major factor of recruitment is advertising the job, whereas in the process of selection final selection of candidate is a major factor.
- In recruitment process candidates need not have to cross many hurdles, whereas in the process of selection candidates have to cross many hurdles.
Both the process are related to each other, but have different functions and purposes. Read more
Comments Off on Recruitment Vs Selection
| Tags: Recruiting
Contingency recruitment is one of the widely used hiring process. It includes the agreed terms and conditions with clients and sending candidates on an as needed basis to the companies. It is an ongoing recruitment and placement activity to client organization. The services included in this type of recruitment are research into a potential employee, verification of references, experience, education and full background checks.
The contingency firm can consist of one or two persons only or it may also be a large firm with many employees analyzing the candidates for their jobs. These recruiting services consist of research on potential employee’s personality type, background and verification of references, experience, educational qualifications. Ultimately, they filter all the candidates and select best among them for their clients. This type of recruitment is generally used to recruit associate directors, principal consultants, senior consultant, chartered surveyors etc.,
Process of contingency recruitment:
Candidates who sign up for this service do not have to pay to the recruiter. The company who has consulted contingency recruiting services will pay the fee to the recruiter for providing the appropriate candidate. The recruiting firm will charge fee from the companies if a proposed job applicant is selected. Depending upon the firms, the contingency recruiting offers different tests to find the best employee. These contingency recruiting firms maintain a database of prospective employee’s which helps them to make the selection of the candidate for their client easier. This type of recruitment focus on network of IT professionals and extensive database to source the suitable candidates.
About contingency recruiter:
The contingency recruiter has contract with companies and it is a very expensive hiring process. Contingency recruiting involves more risks when compared with contract recruiter. In contingency hiring, 15 to 30 percent of an employee’s first year’s pay would be given to contingency recruiter for hiring an appropriate candidate. The amount payed to the recruiter will be justified because of the efforts that he has put to find an appropriate candidate.
Once a candidate is found related to the job profile, they go for telephone screening. They make a call to the candidate to know why he is wanting for change of position or a new job. They also try to know about their salary requirements and career aspirations. If the candidate gets selected, he is asked to register online. This comprises of online questionnaire. If the recruiter is satisfied, the candidate is asked to attend face-to-face interview. Then the candidate is tested for competencies and skills. If the candidate gets qualified, then he is asked to attend interview with the client. Ultimately, the decision of recruitment is based on the client as per vacancy for the post. Many candidates who are looking for jobs are seeking contingency recruitment firms.
Comments Off on Know About Contingency Recruitment
| Tags: Recruiting