Dental in-lays and on-lays provide several purposes and treatment options for various dental restorative services. They repairs the rear teeth that have been damaged or fractured. They are generally made of tooth colored material and used to replace the traditional form of metal fillings for a natural appearance. On-lays are used to treat larger surface areas and inlays used for treating the indented top surfaces of teeth.
The treatment procedure
- An inlay or on-lay procedure can be completed in to dental visits.
- In your first visit, dentist prepares the damaged tooth and a modeled impression will be taken and sent to a dental laboratory where the inlay or on-lay is manufactured.
- Inlays and on-lays are usually made of materials such as porcelain or resin, gold materials. The difference is in their appearance of the final completed restoration.
- A temporary inlay or on-lay in the shape of final restoration can be created during the first visit for protecting the tooth, while the final restoration is being fabricated.
- In case of back molars opting for gold inlays/ on-lays makes the best option.
- Inlays/ on-lays made up of porcelain are mostly used in the smile line areas.
- Resin made inlays/ on lays best suits for people who grind their teeth and with misaligned bite.
- During the second visit, the temporary restoration will be removed and the permanent inlay/ on-lay is placed.
- Dentist check for all margins to make sure that a smooth fit with tight adjacent contact occurs.
- Also they check for bite issues to ensure that no occlusion problems affect the margins of restoration.
- Once the restoration is fitted/ bonded on to the tooth, the margins are well polished.
Benefits of inlays and on-lays
- Easier cleaning of tooth: Due to the proper tailored fit and with minimum preparation, teeth can be cleaned easily. Prefabricated inlays and on-lays doesn’t shrink during the curing process.
- Tooth color: Inlays and on-lays boast up longevity and are not likely to discolor over a period of time.
- Superior fit: Inlays and on-lays offers a reactionary preparation that preserves healthy tooth as much as possible. They provide a great option if you have minimal to moderate decay that extends to flossing area, thus offering an alternative to full covering crowns.
- Safeguarding the tooth structure: They help to preserve maximum tooth structure while restoring damaged or decayed areas thus ensuring functional longevity.
- Protecting the weak tooth: On-lays protect the weak areas of tooth and the procedure does not require complete tooth reshaping.
- Stability and strength: Inlays and on-lays make stable restorative solutions for the decay treatment. Durable material and superior fit make them a stable choice for strengthening up a damaged tooth.
- Tight space fulfillment: Inlays can be considered if you have cavity between your teeth as of they are better at sealing the teeth to keep out bacteria. They will not stain, are easy to clean and offer durability.
Dental inlays/ on-lays improves the health of your teeth and appearance of your smile and treatment requires no downtime.