Among many different types of materials for greenhouses, aluminum is one which is used commonly. Here are some advantages and disadvantages of using aluminum frames for greenhouses.
- Aluminum is a strong element requiring less maintenance. They do not rust or rot like the steel or wooden greenhouse frames. Hence, the repairs or replacement of aluminum frames for your greenhouses is often avoided.
- It is easy to assemble aluminum greenhouses. It is even found in different colors such as green, silver, white, bronze, dark silver and charcoal. This is meant to add beauty to the frames.
- Aluminum is so compatible and can be used with a variety of panels. You can use glass, plastic and polycarbonate window panels with aluminum framing. It also slides in whatever sort of panels you wish to use.
- Of different materials used for greenhouses, aluminum is very light in weight and hence, is portable.
- Aluminum greenhouses are weather resilient as they are extremely strong and also amazing to look.
- One of the main issues with aluminum is that it is a soft metal and hence may not stand up under stress when exposed to harsh winds and heavy blows.
- The cost of aluminum is also very high when compared to wood or other metals such as steel.
- It does not possess any insulation value. Simply speaking, you lose a lot of heat through aluminum frames. Another features of aluminum is that it promotes formation of condensation inside the greenhouse frame.
Considering these pros and cons of aluminum is very much important when planning to build a greenhouse.