Medical marijuana refers to the use of parts of a herb called cannabis as recommended by the physician. It was proved that the use of this herb found effective in curing certain ailments and hence the herbs used to cure some diseases are termed as medical marijuana. However, in some states the use of medical marijuana is also banned. For now let us see the advantages and disadvantages of medical marijuana and let us decide whether it is good or bad.
Pros of Medical Marijuana
- There are evidences showing that marijuana can relieve certain types of pains, nausea, vomiting and other symptoms due to illnesses as multiple sclerosis, cancer and AIDS.
- It is less toxic than any other medicines which are prescribed by the physicians regularly.
- Patients who smoked marijuana and used marijuana pills have improved immune function when compared to the people who received placebo.
- Compared to other, medical marijuana carries less risk of addiction.
- Unlike other substances it does not show any withdrawl symptoms.
Cons of Medical Marijuana
- There is lack of consistent data available which proves that medical marijuana has beneficial effects. There are far better medicines available to treat the same ailments as medical marijuana cures.
- Studies found that smoking marijuana resulted in increased heart rate and a decrease in blood pressure.
- It damages the brain, heart, lungs and immune system. It also impairs learning and interferes with the memory perception and judgment.
- Smoked marijuana contains cancer causing compounds and it resulted in high proportion of automobile crashes.
- It weakens the immune system and causes infections to the lungs.
- Children using them in their early ages will become dependent on the drug in their later life.
- So, these are the pros and cons of medical marijuana. Now it is our turn to compare the advantages with the disadvantages and then to decide whats good and whats not.