Among a wide variety of stone countertops, soapstone countertops are one which are preferred by many homeowners. Soapstone contains quartz, talc and other minerals. The presence of talc makes it soft and elegant. Here are some pros and cons of soapstone countertops.
- As the countertops have talc, they are soft providing a smoothy feel when touched. The soft stone gives a homely look to the countertop.
- They are less porous and hence, gives no chance of liquid absorption. In addition, they also do not allow any stain formation.
- Various color options of soapstone ranging from light gray to black give a natural earthly appeal to your kitchen countertop. Based on the presence of additional minerals, the vein colors of the countertops also vary that bring a stylish look.
- The stain-proof characteristic of the soapstone countertops ensures less effort in cleaning.
- They are even heat resistant and you need not worry when handling hot pans and liquids. They do not tend to break easily with the heat impact and hence, are more durable.
- As soapstone contains talc, it can be cut easily. It even allows easy shaping as per the customized fit of the kitchen countertop.
- High maintenance is required for the soapstone countertops as they have to be cleaned with mineral oil once a week for the first year of use to maintain their sheen and appeal.
- Even, they get scratched easily and hence, proper maintenance tips have to be followed to remove the scratches.
- The soapstone countertops cost higher.
- Their availability is limited and it may be difficult to get the right ones to replace any damaged part of your countertop.
Consider these pros and cons of soapstone countertops when choosing the right fit for your kitchen.