Natural stone serves best for use as countertops. Among the different types of countertop materials, limestone is one which is now being prominently used. Their special characteristics allowed them to use as countertops adding beauty to any room. Here are some pros and cons of limestone countertops.
- Softer varieties of limestone countertops can be used in different locations like kitchen, bathroom and fireplaces.
- Various sizes, textures and soft colors of limestone countertops are available that give a luxurious look to your kitchen.
- They are much cheaper than granite countertops.
- Limestone countertops can be molded easily to your customized shape and size without affecting the previous structure.
- Some harder varieties of these countertops are resistant to scratches and stains like granite countertops.
- They are not resistant to scratches as they are much fragile when compared to granite. Hence, cutting boards should be used for knives when you have limestone countertops in your kitchen. Also, trivets and place mats should be placed to avoid any scratches or burning.
- As they are acid-sensitive, the surface gets easily damaged when lemon or tomato juices spill on the kitchen limestone countertops. The stains on them may demolish the finish of the countertops.
- Periodic resealing is essential to ensure that they are not stained.
- Maintenance cost of limestone countertops is very much higher than that of granite countertops.
- Discoloration of the limestone countertops may occur making it vulnerable to etching.
These pros and cons should be considered when you are selecting the limestone countertops for your kitchen, bathroom or any other area.