It has been studied that poor gum health can elevate the risk of many serious health issues like heart strokes and diabetes. In order to avoid the gum diseases and other dangerous health effects, it is necessary to maintain the gum health. Certain herbal remedies have been in use from several decades to assure good gum health. Many different types of herbs protect the mouth from gum diseases. Here are some of them.
- Neem extracts are the more common herbs which have antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties. They prevent the build-up of tartar and plaque. They also destroy cavity-causing bacteria.
- Cloves have been popularly used for maintaining gum health. They contain a substance called eugenol which reduces pain and also acts against bacteria. It is meant for treating general gum pain. Growth of harmful bacteria in the pockets and around gums is prevented by combined use of natural oils of eucalyptus, clove and spearmint.
- Green tea is supposed to maintain gum health. Various causes of gum-disease inflammation can be cut down by it. It contains specific substance called tea catechins which boost gum health. Certain tea tannins also keep away bacteria from mouth thereby ensuring gum health.
- Oak galls, also known as oak apples, contain tannins which act as powerful gum protectors. They help to treat bleeding gums by tightening the tissue and strengthening the blood vessels.
- Calendula tincture, a Europe originated natural herb, speeds up the healing time in gums and reduces the risk of infection. It also minimizes the inflammation and free radical activity in gums.
In place of using synthetic and harmful compounds, it is better to use the above herbs for maintaining the gum health.